Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 9: Fighting the Nibbles

Scripture: Psalm 103
Today's menu:
Black beans and brown rice with tequila lime salsa (no tequila used) with baked Tostitoes (YUM!)
Spinach sauteed with olive oil and garlic, seasoned to taste
Spaghetti squash with marinara sauce (sauteed mushrooms in olive oil and garlic and added to sauce), topped with peas
Pomegranate apple sauce

Fighting the Nibbles
It is barely 10am and I am already a bit stressed.  There is so much to do and so little time to do it.  And when I am stressed, I want to eat.  I just finished the black beans, rice, salsa and tostitoes but it was breakfast and I was hungry so I am safe on that one.  However, last night, I saw my stronghold clearly.  

I had come in from prayer meeting and stopped at the grocery store in search of a Boca burger and a few odds and ends.  I found it and began to read the label getting VERY excited until I saw "yeast extract".  Hoping to find a loophole, I called Rev to make ABSOLUTELY sure we could not have the yeast.  You know the answer....I am almost hung up on him.  This fast was now playing with my emotions!!  I was tired, hungry for something more filling and satisfying than these vegetables, fruit, and rice and left disappointed.  Once home, I began to cook for today and enjoyed myself because I actually love to cook.  And then I saw that emails had come through for the anniversary. Now it was great that people were responding with ads, but everything in me was screaming--do I EVER get some time off? I knew I had to take care of it then because today would be jammed pack. In that moment, with the thoughts traveling through my mind at warp speed of all I had to do before Sunday, I started looking around for something to put in my mouth. I needed a snack.  The nibbles were attacking!

During this fast I have clearly seen that the nibbles attack when I am stressed and tired.  I instinctively reach for something to eat.  I have to remind myself that just because I am snacking on fruit or a vegetable, it is still the nibbles if I am not hungry.  The nibbles are a stronghold.  Rev once defined a stronghold as a fortress of the mind, this intricate weaving of thoughts that produce an automatic behavioral response.  We know we are dealing with a stronghold when something happens and we respond in some negative way without even thinking.  Like Pavlov's dog, we drool simply because the bell has been rung.  In my case, if I were a robot and you pressed my stressed or tired button, my hand would reach for a snack.  

The Bible says that "We are not ignorant of Satan's device" (II Cor. 2:11). I am clearly seeing his subtle attack through the nibbles--the nibbles are to keep me from relying on God for my strength and comfort.  My instinct is to reach for food, not God.  The nibbles are blockers, trying to intercept a God opportunity in my life.  

So last night as I clicked on my gmail account to review the emails, I pulled up a chair, sat down with a sigh and a simple prayer, "Lord Jesus, PLEASE help me." Did what I had to do and went to bed--no snack needed.  Score: 1 for St. Clair  0 for the Nibbles.  

I am fighting the nibbles and you? What are you fighting? 

11 comments:

  1. i am fighting the sweet beast. i even have mind set on this one paticular sweet treat that i will have once the fast is over. neverthesless im still standing. this is a good lesson in delayed gratification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I poured apple juice in my ice tray for a cool, sweet treat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chopped salads are the best. Here’s what in my chopped salad today:

    Mixed greens
    Red Peppers
    Red Onions
    Cucumbers
    Sun dried tomatos
    Chic Peas
    Hemp Nuts
    Pecans
    Walnuts
    Cranberries (because of the fast I brought the cranberries that were sweetened with fruit juice. However, they were still very tart. Now I see why they add sugar to cranberries. Raisins are a better option)

    What’s great about chopped salad is that you don't have to spend time cutting your veggies into perfect slices, or having your ingredients unbalanced in your bowl. By chopping the salad, all of the ingredients mesh together well so that with each bite you taste all of the ingredients. You just put all of the ingredients into the chopper bowl; manually roll the chopper over the veggies, fruit, and nuts for a few minutes and voila - a well blended tasty salad you can eat with a spoon! You can even skip the salad dressing if you like...

    btw@ rev st clair..where are you getting all that spaghetti squash from?!...inquiring minds want to know...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine Fare on Irvington Ave in Newark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rev. St .Clair ur really getting down n dirty with the sweet apple ice....I ain't made at u.....way to color inside the lines.

    Some sweet ice will get me b4 the fast is over....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today I was fighting the desire to have a soda. I have been craving a diet coke all day long! Wednesdays are such long days for me and I wanted that caffiene boost. Of course there was a can on the community table that I kept staring everytime I would go past this room...God please help me! I did make it through the day without drinking it (thank you Jesus!).

    I totally get the nibbles stronghold...that is one of mine also. As soon as I feel tired or overwhelmed I want to reach for a snack. God has been helping me with that this week. Yesterday I went jogging/walking as I talked to him and today I journaled through half of my break.
    Didn't catch the yeast extract in the boca burger, will have to put the rest of those in the basement freezer so we don't eat anymore...Lord help me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @shonnell..I digging the apple juice ice cube too..

    @everyone..please keep me in prayer..this weekend i will be celebrating my 10 year anniversary with DYFS..today i will be applying for a promotion (supervisor position) that will come available by 11/2. It is definately a leap of faith for me and im trusting God all the way..

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow psalm 103 really ministered to me this morning...we have blessings that come with salvation! We can expect forgiveness,healing, and a long life from God. We can expect God's steadfast love and his mercy to wrap around us. And for him to renew us. His love is from everlasting to everlasting to generations after us! Amen! That just gave me so much peace this morning. We have to be obedient (stay on this fast...) and he will bless us! Praise God! I have felt so fustrated lately for wanting some changes in my life, tired of the same old, same old stuff. This psalm just reminded me that God has not forgotten about me, that he love me and WANTS good for me. AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping you had a different boca variety!!! Alas, all hope for the burger is gone! Rev has been eating these veggie patties that taste like veggie patties...that boca burger looked like meat! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was fighting the I want chewing gum so I went I got a bag of ice from Sonic. It's crushed ice my favorite. God is good to me because it seems like once I bought the ice and get it back to my sisters. I had planned to just eat one glass of ice after another. I did not. I did put a little bit in my pineapple/grapefruit juice but I did not eat one glass after another and I forgot about the chewing gum. I got so busy trying to cook for my sister and her family until I did not have time to think about gum or anything. I can't believe I am cooking. The best part about it is I am cooking all the stuff I really like to eat and I am not having cravings. I am enjoying cooking because my niece Diamond and my nephew Dallas helps me. They are really good helpers. I have to make sure that I give Dallas boy stuff to do and Diamond girl stuf f to do of course (who really cares but it's important to Dallas so it's important to TT Lisa) LOL! Diamond helped me last night. Dallas was bussy with his spelling words so he could not help. She did a find job of watching the time and making sure i did not leave the meat in the oven to long only because she wanted to help with boiling the pasta shells.

    Well let me get my sister up and ready we might go to the movies tomorrow. Pray she feels well enough. We are going to snick to the movies while the kids are at school. I have always had lots of respect for mothers but now mothers are super cool. I think Aunties get a chance to go to the bathroom alone. I am not so sure about mothers. When my nieces and nephew are home all the focus is on them it's amazing and there is no getting around it. They expect it and that's how they get it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ladies,
    Sorry for the late submission but I have been reassignd to a project that is totally draining me of all of my strength - literally by the end of the work day all I wanna do is go home and go to sleep.
    OK when our breath starts to get kinda funky tasting because of the fast, what are we supposed to freshen it with? Let's say we are in an all day meeting and need to freshen our breath? HELP!!! Can I offer a mint to someone else so I don't have to smell their breath?
    Help a sista out!!!
    Hmm,hmm interesting post about the Nibbles Rev, I never thought of them as a stronghold. Now I have to do inspection on my Nibbles before I Nibble...

    How about some frozen grapes for a sweet treat?

    Be blessed

    ReplyDelete