Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 5: Linus is Losing Her Blanket

Scripture: Psalm 90-??
Today's Menu:
Sliced orange
Pistachios
1/2 bag freeze fried apples (leftovers from yesterday)
Strawberry or pomegranate applesauce (whichever I threw into my bag)
Spaghetti squash with marinara and peas
The spaghetti squash is a KEEPER.  I find myself moving away from the wheat products (pasta, matzo) peanut butter, and the rice cakes.  Lord, am moving towards a strict Daniel fast of fruit, vegetables, nuts, and rice?  I feel like I am being led away from anything "prepared" like I kinda have to start from scratch or get as close to the food's original state as I can.  

Linus Is Losing Her Blanket
You remember him, the Peanuts character who although he was amazingly intelligent and theological in his thinking, often quoting the Gospels and offering philosophical insights, would often be seen sucking his thumb and carrying his blanket.  The lose of his blanket brought on withdrawal symptoms--shakes, anxiety, sweating, and the like--similar to a detoxing drug addict.  There is one episode where Lucy actually tries to separate Linus and his blanket, but it didn't work.  Linus freaks out so bad, digging up the entire neighborhood to find it, that even Snoopy (who often tries to steal the blanket himself) feels bad for him and digs for the blanket, too.  

I feel a little like Linus. The challenge of this fast has not been so much the limiting of food but breaking my core reliance on it for comfort.  It's my security blanket.  I feel myself instinctively grabbing for a snack when my stress levels rise or I am overwhelmed, frustrated, or simply tired.  I have become more aware of it on this fast and convicted of it.  I can't just eat mindlessly and justify it by saying, "But the sheet says I can have it."  That is not the point of a fast.  I am realizing that breakthrough will come as I break through some idolatrous patterns of behavior. Yes, food is an idol.  When I am eating my stress instead of seeking God to relieve it, it's an idol. 

Food should be used for nourishment, even enjoyment but not a security blanket. God is my refuge and strength.  Like Linus sucking his thumb, I have often popped something in my mouth to soothe myself or kept food around me, just in case, feeling secure in that if everything else fails at least I can count on my Snickers bar!  During this fast, God is burying my blanket, not in the backyard but in the grave with Jesus.  My challenge is to enjoy food, be grateful for it, but keep it in its proper place.  In my times of stress, my default mode should be to seek God and not another snack. This Linus is working on losing her blanket!  What are you working on losing?


5 comments:

  1. Thought i would share this poem i wrote 5 years ago. today's topic reminded me of my abuse of food.

    MY BELLY RUNNETH OVER...

    For as long as I can remember to the time of this writing, food has been a crutch for me. It has been that one constant component in my life that was always available – willing and able to satisfy. Food was a friend when I was lonely; a lover when I needed comfort; a mind regulator when I was stressed, and a mood elevator when I was depressed. Food filled in the gaps that were created by my shortcomings.

    Being able to eat whenever and whatever I wanted gave me a sense of control in my life. With goals and expectations of a brighter future off in the distance, having no plan or idea on how to make those things a reality, I wallowed in mediocrity, while being soothed by the daily lunch special. Buffalo wings were good on rainy days; Chinese food after work, Oreo cookies where like pain killers, especially for that time of the month.

    Now my belly runneth over, and I am no longer impressed, with the Deep Fried Chicken that is showing through my dress. I should not be surprised with the dimples on my thighs since I always had my value meals super-sized.

    Does anyone have the cure for a sweet tooth? A sweet mind? A sweet eye? A sweet hand? A sweet foot? Because it takes more than one part of the body to determine what goes into it.

    My belly runneth over and over. Not because I’m ready to conceive, but because of the seed of gluttony that I have allowed to be apart of me.


    Food has been the ultimate alternative:

    I don’t fornicate; but I am aroused by lemon and chocolate Entenmann’s cakes.

    Why hang out in a club; when I can get my groove on with Lay’s Potato Chips on a turkey and cheese sub.

    I don’t drink alcohol or smoke neither appeal to me. Just give me a burger with fries, and watch me get high – high sugar, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high weight, and high death rate.

    This is not cute; but it is kind of funny, I done spent too much money on snacks that begin with “Honey…”

    I can’t settle for the food trap, that keeps me where I am at, my belly runneth over with rolls and rolls of fat.

    I must make it across the canyons of doubt and unbelief. Fasting - doing whatever it takes to make those leaps. I must learn to control my emotions and not allow them to control me. My hunger is deeper than food. I hunger for destiny. You see, when I discover my destiny, I will no longer eat to feel complete. My nutrition will be my volition to accomplish my commission.

    This might be too much information for some people; but I’m just keeping it real; my life is an open book, gather from it what you will.


    Enerpeace 2004

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rev. raquel....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am running a day behind LOL, LOL.
    Well God has a real sense of humor because when I went to read my Bible I was lead to Esther 11:2-12 the additional chapters, I was in Romans.
    This is where scripture talks about Mordecai's dream. What stood out for me is that the dream was of "Noises and confusion, thunders and earthquakes and tumult on the earth". Then there is a fight between two dragons, darkness and light. I sat there with my mouth wide open - OK God what does this mean. Well I am still waiting to hear, but according to my study Bible the visions/dream reveals that events to come follow God's plan...Hmm, hmm...

    I hear ya Rev on the food anytime issue. I also deal with that not because the paper says that I can have it, but when I get bored I fell that as long as it is healthy and I am supposed to eat 5-6x a day who is it hurting? But the question is should I be replacing that hungry time for time with God?...

    Thanks for the words of wisdom ladies!!

    Be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s good to know that people are thinking about you.

    It all started yesterday morning when I got a text message from my sister Crystal hoping that things were going well for me and that she was thinking about me. A few hours later I got another text message from one of my sister-friends Melissa; and today I got a text from my cousin Hermione - all of which had the same sentiments.

    I am thanking God because I know that these thoughts were prayers for me. I thank God because I know that these thoughts were thoughts of good will and peace; thoughts of prosperity and abundance; thoughts so strong that it moved to them to action to let me know about it. How do I know that these thoughts were of God, because I was strengthen and encouraged in areas that I didn’t know were depleted. Each message felt like the laying on of hands and I could not help but to notice that I was touched.

    When I think about the thoughts that God has about me and for me, I now believe that God imparts his ideas/thoughts to us directly as well as to those around us to confirm and bear witness to his word.

    ...by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established. Deut 19:15b

    Thank you Lord for your Word and your Witness!

    ReplyDelete