Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 2: Receiving What you Need until You Get What You Want

Scripture: Psalm 81 (I'll begin there and read until I feel lead to stop)
Today's Menu:
Breakfast Smoothie (makes as about 36oz)
Measurements are approx.  I'm getting like my grandmother-making stuff to taste rather than by recipe....LOL!
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 12 ice cubes
  • 4 bananas
  • cup of pineapples chunks in own (unsweetened) juice
  • 3-4 heaping tbsp of Healthy Balance peanut butter
Barilla multi grain rotini tossed with steamed broccoli and Prego marinara sauce
I Matzo with peanut butter
nectarine
cashews
freeze dried apples or pears
raw carrots
Not sure about dinner but may try brown rice, black beans, and corn with string beans on side

I am trying to get at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables in per day. I want to carry that habit away with me.  
Food that Made the Cut: There are food I plan on eating AFTER the fast...
I am about the smoothies with the coconut milk!  I'm gonna compare the coconut with the cow's milk and choose whichever gives me the best combination of nutrients
I am also to experiment with veggie smoothies next week, probably starting with carrots and orange juice...what else should I put in it?
multi grain pasta and prego marinara.  That is what's UP!! I do NOT eat pasta without some flesh whether it is beef, chicken, turkey, fish, shellfish but I can do this easily and toss in a few more veggies. I am gonna try to stay away from the parmigiana cheese because it tastes fine without it
Matzo--I've always loved it and would often go to the Hillel section of Yale's dining hall when all else failed for those huge flat crackers that could be topped with almost anything.  After the fast, I'll stick with the matzo but be able to add a few more toppings other than peanut butter
Healthy Balance Peanut Butter--don't need the sugar, so why buy something with it sugar added?!
Freeze dried apples and pears--tasty!

Receiving What You Need until You Get What You Want
We've made it through day 1 and had a wonderful Bible Study and consecration service afterwards! God's spirit was palpable...could you sense the assurance of breakthrough?  I feel like both we and God are pleased with this fast.  I am excited about doing it and have been looking forward to it, preparing for success by getting my food and kitchen ready to avoid temptation but last night I felt in very tangible ways that we are standing in the center of God's will on this one.  Change is inevitable, SOMETHING is about to break forth! All I know is--I want to be in the number!

The title of my blog is also the lesson God impressed upon my spirit yesterday.  The issue for me was not hunger for food, my hunger was satisfied.  It was the desire for certain tastes--a cookie, or piece of chocolate.  I didn't really want the broccoli or raw carrots (I'm not a big vegetable eater esp if it's not cooked with a little butter, smoked turkey or pork....) but it was what I needed.  I felt like God was challenging me by saying: Can you receive what you need...even appreciate it, even when it is not what you want?  

That's the initial challenge for me and maybe for you: God really breaking my will and me surrendering to His in the simplest of things so that God really guides every aspect of my life.  Normally choosing between broccoli and a cookie doesn't matter--I eat both or just the cookie because I am grown and I can afford it and I want it (how many things is THAT a rationale for?!) But now, "no cookies and eat your broccoli" and I am a child before my Father doing what he says because He is running this household.  Fasting is bring my "little" rebellions to the surface and it is not pretty.  Can I tell you that I am a little afraid of what is deeper down? But like silver in the refiner's fire, I am asking God to remove these impurities as they come to the surface.  

I am convinced of this...it is time to decide if we are going to do things God's way or continue with business as usual and I don't think God is tolerating much more of the usual business when we know better.  I know I am sick of the slip shop, mediocre, and petty getting in the way of Divine purpose and will.  I am tired of complaining audibly and silently about being inconvenienced and then asking God to do the impossible and weary of hearing it around me. Aren't you? I don't want to take His grace for granted, I don't want to miss this breakthrough over a cookie, an egg, or a chicken wing.  When this fast is over, I will not only eat physical meat but it is my heart's desire to feast on the meat of His word.  I am weary of the wilderness and am seeking the Promised Land!

So how was your first day?



9 comments:

  1. My first day was interesting. I am discovering my eating habits. I am not always hungry but I am really a big snacker. I did ok with eating the right stuff yesterday but God started showing me things that I wasn't expecting to see so soon.

    Hey the Matzos are on sale at Pathmart for $2. I found Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter Chunky it is good. Let me tell you.

    My devotion yesterday was about the power of the tongue. Well I guess I've got to tame the tongue. My devotion today was about making it thru the storm. WOW! Don't get me started but I am blessed.

    Don't forget I have recipes. I just need someone to cook them. Let ya sistah know when you are ready to cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God may be calling you to cook, Felicia. The lack of response may be a sign! LOL! Also, Fine Fare on Irvington Ave in Newark is having great sales and really good produce. It recently opened so it's really nice. Found pomegranates there, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine Fare looks really good,(i just checked out the website) thanks for sharing. I've been looking for a good place to buy produce besides Whole Foods, don't get me wrong, I love Whole Foods the produce is always fresh and the employees are friendly, it is just very costly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. squirrel food fast day 2!!!!!!!!! i want y'all to know i wasn't hungry until i heard the word FAST! but i had a tasty smoothie, some squirrel food mixed nuts and berries, some broccoli and whole wheat pasta with homemade tomato sauce! it was good and very filling and i no longer feel the need to bite anyone!

    rev. k

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...@REV K...

    I decided to sweeten my oatmeal with apple juice instead of the usual mashed banana and it came out great.

    I brought one cup of water and 1/2 cup of all natural apple juice to a boil and added 3/4 cups of Quaker Old Fashioned OATS and allowed it to simmer for a few minutes. I topped it off with ground cinnamon. I still had my banana on the side... which made my meal seem more filling...

    Its day two; How do I feel?! Well let’s see...
    As of 9/2/09 I make note of the following:

    Physical: I want to take naps more often. My body is beginning to detoxify itself by increasing elimination processes. No temptation for any particular food.

    Spiritual: desiring more intimacy with God

    Mental: Alert, anxiety free, focused

    Mood: Sleepy, very sleepy…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy, I think I am going to try your oatmeal recipe. I had black beans with garlic, onion, salt, pepper over brown rice with broccoli on the side. I am going to say something I never thought I'd say but (drum roll....) i didn't miss the meat. I am craving processed sugar (which I expected) but not the meat. The beans, peanut butter, and pasta are holding me. Ditto to the elimination, Tammy! I am also more sluggish...want to nap and it's pretty a much a wrap for me after 4pm. Can't focus much after that. Detoxifying, I guess. From what I have read, day 3 is the toughest and things begin settle in after that. All in all, I still have my joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Day 1 went fine. I'm really loving the Smart Balance Peanut Butter. My Day 2 was interesting. I forgot that we promised to go to a barbecue this evening. Needless to say the hamburgers, chicken and sausage looked so good but I did not give in. I sat and ate my "squirrel food" fruit and nut mix and drank my water. The good news is that I had no cravings meat or dairy all day until it was right in front of me.

    Since Labor Day is coming up, does any one have any suggestions on how to survive the upcoming barbecues?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi There, I am a bit late with this post but I wanted to continue since we have been on a roll.
    Here is one that I really like:
    Brown Rice 2 cups
    Ragu (SR has on sale this week) or Prego "No Sugar Added" sauce - 1 cup
    Spinach (Fresh or Frozen) 1pkg
    Black Beans 1.75 cup
    Onions

    Prep the rice as sugggested on box - Saute the onions in Extra Light Extra Virgin Olive Oil and thaw the spinach. Add the rice to the Marinara until rice absorbs sauce, add in beans onions and spinach. Cook until hot...
    You can also add addtional seasonings to suit your taste.

    I am doing quite well, but I REALLY, REALLY, did I say REALLY, miss my Flax bread.

    For breakfast I had a Hemp Protein Smoothie with frozen bananas, wheat grass, wheat germ and Unsweetend Soy Milk - YUM, YUM.
    Don't forget to take Multi Food Enzymes to help digest all that good healthy food, this will hel pyou from becoming tired in the early afternoon and a ProBiotic to replace the good flora while you detox.
    For lunch I had steamed Broccoli with Natural Almond slivers and Brown Rice.
    Question - has anyone checked out the SOBE Life Water? Can we drink that? HOLLA back

    Be blessed and HAPPY EATING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missed you yesterday. By the way it's Shonnell. The rationale of saying I'm grown has only gotten me into more trouble because I use it for everything i want to do;knowing I shouldn't.

    Last night after putting Cari down, I can honestly said I felt empowered. I've been able to stick to the fast so I know that I wasn't happy because I'm grown in age, but have grown to understand that taking a small step to just try and trust God in different areas of my life is empowering and it sets my feet stratight to walk the path that God has for me.

    This is a different fast, but God's blessing for me and my family will also be different.

    Ummm..He's just that good

    ReplyDelete