Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 14: God is faithful

Scripture: Psalm 116-119
Today's Menu:
I'm gonna see what Whole Foods has and treat myself...maybe some tabouleh salad, yum!

God is Faithful
I have no great revelation today (of course, you may thinking, "You haven't had one so far so why change now." )  Just the 3 words of the title.  I have am seeing a pattern of discouragement attacking us.  We are almost 2 weeks in and it seems this is the last trick the devil has.  He is skewing our perspective and making us see things from the most negative vantage point.  He really wants us to believe that we are not making a difference and nothing will change, we might as well give in.  DON'T because by discouraging us, he is showing us his hand.  

If our fasting makes no difference then he would leave us alone to face total failure at the end. That would best suit his purpose.  Just think about it.  We do this for 21 days, sacrifice, stand on the Word and nothing. He doesn't have to lift a finger.  That experience alone would take a lot to overcome for us to do a fast again.  So he tries to stop us because He knows what we have to remember--GOD IS FAITHFUL!!!! If he can stop us now, he can block our breakthroughs having us declare defeat before the end of the battle.  He wants us to surrender to our flesh, to our discouragement, to our doubt, to our weariness, to CHOCOLATE! 

Meanwhile, God wants us to surrender to Him.  Just keep going because I am reminded of the story of Jacob and Esau.  Remember how Esau sells his birthright for a bowl of lentils? When we read it, we often wonder--how could he do that? trade in his future for some stew?!  Ridiculous, right?....You see where I am going?!  Dairy, Meat, Sugar, Yeast, etc are not worth my breakthrough, freedom, or blessing.  This fast is us claiming our birthrights and inheritances as children of God.  We can't let the devil trick us with snack.  

This morning as I was reading the Psalms, this one stuck with me:  "Uphold me according to your promise, that I may live, and let me not be put to shame in my hope" (Ps. 119:116).  That is my prayer during this last week.  Discouragement in so many forms has attacked me during this fast but I remember that there is no need to discourage me if God is not going to come through.  The devil would just let God disappoint me.  But God isn't, a change IS coming! And I am excited to see it.

7 comments:

  1. I am so determined to hold on. Only God knows what I really need in my life. I NEED a miracle and God is the only one who can do it. My prayer is, Lord change my circumstances for my good. Lord grow me where I need to go and Lord make the necessary changes. I surrender all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would just like to offer a word of encouragement to everyone who have committed to the Daniel fast from Hosea 10:12:

    I said, "Plow new ground for yourselves, plant righteousness, and reap the blessings that your devotion to me will produce. It is time for you to turn to me, your Lord, and I will come and pour out blessings upon you.'

    Let’s keep this thought in mind, there is some joy to be found in the process of fasting, but the overflow comes following. While many of us have reaped blessings through worship, prayer, reading the word, and dancing in His presence, we are still only in the ground breaking phase. We are on day 14 of a massive undertaking and upheaval. As we continue breaking up the fallow ground in our lives through prayer and fasting, things may get a bit uncomfortable and you may even become frustrated and tempted to stop and fall back all together - but keeping on working. Despite how you may feel, keep on working. God is faithful and he keeps his word-“I will come and pour out blessings upon you.”

    Somebody name is about to be changed! Halleluiah! Glory to God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rev Raquel - While at Whole Foods try the Split Pea or Carrot & Ginger soup, they are the BOMB!!

    Yes we are on day 14 and why am I craving coffee again!! Sweets and Breads are my fave yet I am not craving them at all.

    The devil is a liar...All of our cravings and weaknesses of the flesh reminds me of a story in the book of Genesis that we all know too well.
    Imagine...Eve in the garden standing at the foot of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and the serpent slithering above her whispering to her about the fruit of the tree and what she will gain of she obeys him and disobeys God. We can all relate to that, but where Eve became weak and disobeyed God; we on the other hand are fighting back.
    Think about it, the first sin ever committed was with FOOD - Eye Opening time - we can resist the temptations as long as we are honest about them, speak them out loud, write them down, tell somebody, recognize them for what they are - SINS. I don't want to be disobdient and repeat that first sin all over again, after all it is only for 21 days.
    Prayerfully we will all come out of this fast with a growing relationship with GOD, new expectations, a renewed mind and spirit and knowledge of the healthy foods that are available to us along with the hunger to EAT TO LIVE!!

    Be blessed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carin,

    Got some split pea yesterday! Delicious! I also had 1/2 veggie burger and a quinoa cake and a sampling of various salads including my tabouleh. It was a delightful change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about to dig in deeper. We have seven days left(including today). Make it the best seven days by giving your all. Give everything that you got folks-heart, mind, spirit. Bring all that you have in your hands as an offering unto our God. Surely our God will bring increase where there is lack and trade your sorrows and pain for a garment of praise and a garland of Grace...Don't hold back anything-its all acceptable in his sight...

    Breakthough...Blessings...Breakthrough...
    Blessings...Breakthrough...Blessings....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for that word. That just broke me down to tears because that is exactly how I have been feeling, discouraged and ready to give up. Thank you for reminding me that God is faithful and he won't fail! I have to hold on to his promises.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly I just started the fast this week because I wasn't able to hold out on the foods that I'm used to. But my spirit was ready however my flesh gave in. It's only been 4 days for me and I must say I'm quite content, today I ate raw fruit and I made stuffed pepper with mixed vegetable and brown rice and it was delicious. Although I started late I will continue to fast for 21 days. This is all about the Lord. Thank you Lord.

    ReplyDelete