Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 12: God in the Details

Scripture: Psalm 112--???
Today's Menu:
I am going to try some oatmeal with cinnamon, nutmeg, and maybe a lil of my smoothie mixed in to sweeten.  I'll let you know how it turns out....
Baked Tostitoes
Orange slices
Pomegranate applesauce
Chili over brown rice
Salad (Had a great salad from Subway, just chose the veggies I wanted and had them sprinkle a little salt and pepper on it. Surprisingly....DELICIOUS?!?! Who would have thought?  Clearly my taste buds are changing)

God in the Details
Yesterday was somewhat of an adventure.  I had an appointment in Bergen County about a two two shy of NYC.  I had texted the link with the directions to all of my appointments to my cell.  As I left the first appointment heading to the second, the trackball on my BBerry decided to break and not allow me to scroll down--I could not access my directions nor scroll to Sprint Navigation because the icon was on the 3rd row.  Now this is not the first time the trackball decided not to scroll in a particular direction but it always started to work again after playing with it for a minute.  I start talking to God--please make this phone work, why won't this phone work?  I am a bit annoyed that after fasting for almost 11 days, I cannot pray healing over a PHONE!  So I manage to get directions to my next town and there is a Sprint store there.  I go in (no line) give them my phone because the charging port is also fickle and will only charge after I play with it and then not even touch it or it will lose connectivity.  So they give me a replacement, upgrade the software so I can send MMS and not just SMS messages, and give me a way faster Web browser which only this store offers.  The store had free wifi so I caught up on email as they worked and was there for less than an hour.  The man tells me if the charge port had gotten loose, I would have had to send it to Sprint for a replacement and pay $100 deductible but because it wasn't, I got a free replacement.

It occurred to me as I drove away in perfect time to reach my next meeting and not have to wait around that my phone not working had been a blessing.  I needed to get the phone fixed but never put it in the schedule.  I just tolerated its quirks and worked with it.  It was not until it failed me at a critical moment that I went in for the replacement.  Had I waited yet again, the port would have gotten loose from my jiggling it to charge it and that would have cost $100 I did not want to spend.  

There are so many lessons in here for me about not waiting to fix something because it could break at a critical moment, how it costs more to fix something later than sooner, living with poor connectivity, how we won't address some things until they reach a critical point so God must allow them to break to get our attention, unexpected delays may actually be unexpected upgrades, delayed but not late....I am going to think and meditate on these things even as I give thanks for the simple gift of a new phone.  

As I have said in the days that have past, I have not had that breakthrough/I hear God moment.  That may very well come and I believe God will speak in some powerful ways in days to come. But right now, God is weaving Godself within the very fabric of my life and allowing me to see the thread!  For this blessing, I am grateful and encouraged.  God is loving me in the details of my life and if God cares about details, God cares about the whole thing.  

In what surprising places do you see God in your life?


3 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of Max Lucado. He has this one book entitled "When God Whispers Your Name" that is compiled with vingettes of ordinary experiences that God uses to help us to see who He is and to draw us closer to Him.

    During this fast, while i have not had the major revelation/breakthrough, i can see God in the details of my existence. There have been times when i needed God Grace on spot for some matters and it showed up right on time. Even in the midst of delays, I was still able to meet deadlines and i know it all because of His grace. God grace and mercy has become so clear and tangible in my life during this fast and i am ever grateful for that.

    I am enjoying the stroll with God and accept that where i am is where God wants me to be at the moment. There are some areas in my life that i want resolved now that i daiy petition God for. Even in this, i have come to understand that some things are my responsibilty. As a "co-laborer" with God, I have some personal work that i have to do before God can bring the increase i desire. (for me, I think this may count as one major revelation)

    have a great day every one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has shown me that there are no obstacles in life, only detours. On day 1 of the fast I decided that in addition to giving up certain foods I would get back to my disciplined ritual of at least 1 hour of devotion, worship and dancing my prayers in the morning. Whenever I'm under attack or searching for answers I always come here. God said it was time to come to this place daily just because. So on day 1 I got up early, sat down at the computer to read my daily devotion on my bible program on the computer. The program didn't work. It always works - what happened? I then said, never mind I'll read my morning daily devotion on my Blackberry (youversion) - It didn't work. Now this was crazy. Anytime I needed to look up scripture, research scripture for a dance or bible study I always had access to my bible programs. Now what was I going to do! I calmed down, opened my bible (The Message) and just began read - "God rules. On your toes, everybody! He rules from his angel throne-take notice!..." Psalm 99. I had learned to depend so heavily on electronics and pre-written devotions for me that I had forgotten for a moment how to just open my bible and worship. It was a more authentic way of worhsip for me because I had to rely that small voice to tell me where to go in the bible for my morning worship. After reading my scripture I proceeded to dance the scripture and have continued to dance before Him every morning. What an amazing workout for my body and my spirit as I read the word and brought it to life in my body. For a moment I thought how odd that these things would stop working on day 1 of the fast. Because I was in a space where I really wanted to just meet Him and worship I found another way. So when I'm faced with an obstacle to something I know I'm supposed to be doing, I just find another way - a more authentic, true way of worhsip. Both programs are working now but I've still got my bible close at hand. I continue to dance my prayers wheather I feel like it or now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God showed up in my life during this fast on last Wednesday when my supervisor told me that I was being reassigned to a project indefinately and would have to give up all of my current duties and be ready to particiapte on the project that next Tuesday. I was to replace the current project manager (PM) who I was told was being pulled to work on another project.

    You may ask why me, I did, but this is a project that I am familar with because I worked on it p/t for about 5 months until I was told that I wasn't needed because the p/t hrs that I gave were not enough, they wanted me f/t.
    I was to find out later, after talking to the current PM, that he would continue to be on the project but p/t. I was quite upset after hearing this news because I felt that they aquired me f/t by lying to my supervisor.
    Well you know how God sometimes will take a bad thing and turn it into something good? This assignment came right before the official announcement of a reorg within my company and although I would have not been targeted in the reorg (but things can change so who knows) this position will definately keep me on a project that is in a key position to bring additional revenues into the company.

    Praise God who watches over his sheep...

    Today I am grateful for a God that loves me and I He and that He continues to provide even when I at times forget just who He is - Jehovah Jireh - He who provides.
    .

    Be blessed...

    ReplyDelete