Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 1: It's a New Season, It's a New Day!

Scripture: Ephesians 4-6 (read chps 1-3 yesterday)
Menu: Since it's the 1st day, here's my grocery list. It may help get you started. Got it all at Shoprite. Will do Whole Food items on separate list...
Tricuits (thin ones are FABULOUS!!!)
Matzo
Organic peanut butter (check labels to make sure no sugars are added)
Polaner All Fruit (I got grape, make sure to get the one with no sugar added and is 100% fruit)
Apples
Grapefruit
Bananas
Pineapple chunks (for smoothies)
Frozen vegetables
Vegetable stock
baked tostitoes
salsa
assorted beans (black, small red, lentils, chick peas, large white beans)
brown rice
Prego All Natural Marinara Sauce
Tomato paste
Diced tomatoes

New item I am trying: Baby food
Yup! I bought some fruit mixtures for my sweet tooth since they tend not add sugar or artificial flavors or colors. Might be a good breakfast option when I don't want to make smoothies, need a snack, or want "dessert"...

Whole Foods List:
Great food bar. I use it add variety.
  • Ginger sesame tofu
  • Spinach pasta with veggies
  • Veggie patties (they are SO heavy, you only need half and have no off limit ingredients like a lot of veggie patties do)
  • Quinoa cakes
  • Tabbouleh
I purchase from Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) a specialty items I cannot get elsewhere, or haven't found yet and a few favs
  • olive and sundried tomato bruschetta
  • coconut milk for smoothies (the one's they carry do not have guar gum)
Last night, I made some kind of vegetable soup/stew. You are gonna have to play this recipe by ear because I don't measure things...
Vegetable Stew: Add all ingredients to 5 quart crockpot, cook on warm for 8 hours
1 pkg lentils
24 oz mixed vegetables (frozen)
12 oz butternut squash (frozen)
1 medium yellow onion
vegetable stock (enough to fill pot and cover ingredients. You may need to add more stock or a couple of cups of water because veggies will release water but the lentils will suck it up)
I originally added 1 large container of vegetable stock (those cardboard containers in the soup aisle usually on the top shelf, I forget how many ounces it is) and then enough water to peak through ingredients. When I checked it this morning, it was too dry. The lentils had sucked up all the water so I added the 2nd container of vegetable stock (about 7/8 of it) to cover ingredients.
2 bay leaves
season to taste ( I used salt, white pepper, a little minced garlic, and oregano)
Triscuits (my former Daniel love)
Apple or applesauce
Grapefruit (maybe)
Gerber's Baby Food--either the vanilla, apple, and mixed oats or apple and pear

It's a New Season, It's a New Day!
I am really excited about this fast and find that a bit odd because (1) not only do I love to praise Him, I love to eat esp things that contain meat, and sugar, and flour, and dairy, and yeast....you get the picture and (2) my birthday is during this fast, a significant birthday, and I will have no cake on that day,or anything else I'd really like eat to celebrate. But one thing I have learned is to look at the big picture. My birthday is just that, a DAY, I am doing this fast because I am looking at the WHOLE YEAR! God willing, there will be other birthdays and greater celebrations but I feel like if God has given me another year of life, I want to spend that year in obedience to God and spiritual leadership. This fast will be my personal "thank you" to God for letting me see 40 years (yes, I said it but only because I don't look a day over 39! lol!) and my surrendering this next season of life to Him.
I want God's guidance, direction, wisdom, and discernment. I want debt broken over my church and my life and I want and expect EVERYTHING God has promised. I am pressing and pursuing hard and I am PASSIONATE about this thing. I refuse to go into this New Season or another New Day with whining, complaining, or pessimism. I serve a GREAT GOD and I am expecting GREAT THINGS so I am willing to make GREAT sacrifices to get it. And I believe this fast will not only help me get my actions in line with God's will--my eating, care of body and self, daily devotional time, gym time, sermon prep, etc but it will most importantly get my attitude and perspective in line for a blessing.
My motto/ resolution for 2010 is "I believe God. I obey God." It's 2010 and I will be 40. 10 and 40 are two VERY significant numbers of completion and I am expecting some things to be completed in my life. I don't want to carry doubts into the new year. I refuse to allow circumstances to determine the level of my faith. I purpose in my heart to believe GOD no matter what it looks, feels, or sounds like. And I want to obey God, in the minutest details of life. That's how we tune our ears to hear God--we obey God. Disobedient ears are blocked and deaf ears because disobedient people do not really want to hear from God--hearing from God requires change and decision and surrender. I want to be obedient because God's best comes God's way.
For the me, the seasons shifted on Christmas Eve. I felt it all around me at Candlelight service. God is doing something unique in our midst and I perceive it and want to be a part of it. I hope you will, too!



6 comments:

  1. Love it...on my way to Whole Foods and shop rite. Thank Kim Lim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am excited about this fast because I am expecting God to do some exciting things in my life and in the life of the church. The last fast I felt like was a dry run for those of us that were a part of. I never realized how giving up certain foods and seeking God instead, would have such an impact in and on my life at that time. This time the food changes become secondary and being in the presence of God becomes comes primary.
    Pastor asked us to commit to not complaining during the 21 day fast, but I am looking past the 21 days for this mere act to become a way of life for me. I am looking for God to guide me on how to put in perspective the things that are important in my life, and the things that I need to let go of permanently. Sometimes I get so confused and refuse to accept the things that I can't change. The strongholds over my life have to be released, as I have been a willing participant in each of them. I pray that I will be obedient to the Spirit of God and sit still long enough for direction, guidance, wisdom and discernment (Thanks Rev Raquel) over my life.
    My goal in 2010 is to ask God each day to search my heart and remove any scarred tissue from it and replace it with love for Him and for others.

    Peace and blessings to all as we embark on this exciting journey with God

    Here is a recipe for Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

    1 small - medium butternut squash
    4 cored and peeled apples
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 -2 cartons Organic or regular vegetable broth
    Cooking times may vary based on slow cooker used

    Punch wholes with fork in squash and place in microwave for about 4 mins. Let stand for 3-5 mins and then cut in half and peel. The seeds are in the fat bottom part of the squash (remove them). Cut the squash into small cubes and place in 5qt slow cooker. Cube the apples and place in slow cooker along with 1 carton of vegetable broth and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg. Cook for 4 hrs on low stirring occasionally, then on high for 4hrs. Add more broth if needed. After squash and apples have cooked down, and cooled off, place in blender on liquify or food processor and mix until the soup is thick and smooth.
    Reheat and serve

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Carin aka Betty Crocker...hello! :o)
    @Kim Lim....hello! its been a long time. tell the girls i said hello. glad to see your post.
    @Rev. St. Clair...there is no link for the blog on the home page. but i knew you would not let this day go by without a post.(Yay).. I found the link on the announcement page. That is some grocery list and I must say that the baby food option appears to be a delightful addition –sounds like a good mix-in for my oatmeal in the morning.

    I am excited that 2010 is the year of completion and new beginnings. I am excited about a lot of things that will take place this year; more specially, the new career opportunity that is headed my way and the consumer debt that will be paid off. I am also praising God in advance for the new relationships and educational advancement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you all found the blog! Trying to get it on the homepage and St. James FB page, too. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I am at Shoprite in the baby food isle trying to figure out if I need stage 1 or stage 2 fruit to add some flavor to my hot cereal in the morning. I decided that since I have been eating all of my life, I could handle Stage 2. :o) The baby food fruits are all natural and pre-pureed for easy mixing with hot cereal. I will let you know tomorrow how it turned out…


    One of the collateral benefits of the Daniel Fast is that is makes you mindful of the content of food. I was surprised to find that sugar has so many aliases, such as: Beet sugar, evaporated cane juice, dextrose, sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, brown rice syrup, molasses, and maltodextrin – to name a few. How many times have you read the ingredients on a label and find that sugar is at the beginning of the list, the middle, and the end but called by a different name? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

    As some of you may know from my previous post, I am not big on cooking. I like quick nutritious convenient meals. I have earned the title of “One Skillet Meal Queen” and “Smoothie Master” :o)

    Here is what my meal plan looks like today:

    8:00am Hot Oat Bran Cereal Topped with sliced banana and cinnamon

    11:00am Corn Thins (just like rice cakes but made with corn and about half the size of a rice cake-they are very thin) with one tablespoon of organic unsweetened peanut butter and an apple.

    1:30pm Tossed Salad topped with fresh Salsa (Stop and Shop sells fresh salsa in their produce section-it is very good); a side of artichoke and spinach hummus and 1 cup of creamy portobello mushroom soup (I got the soup from whole foods. They may sell it in other supermarkets. The brand name is “Imagine: Natural Creations”-its nondairy too)

    4:30pm 1 cup of red quinoa mixed with red kidney beans, red onions, whole keneral corn, and tofu
    4oz cup of apple sauce ( Shoprite has Musselman’s Natural Unsweetened Apple sauce on sale 3pkg/$4-check out the ingredients: apples, water, and salt.- you can’t beat that)

    7:00 pm Hemp Protein Smoothie: 8oz water, 4tbs Hemp Protein Powder, 1 frozen banana,
    ½ cup frozen mixed berries, ½ cup frozen pineapples.

    That’s all folks….

    ReplyDelete