Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 4: Moving Beyond a "Feel Like It" Faith

Scripture: Gen. 1-3
Today's Menu:
Cream of wheat wheat with raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg
Banana
Triscuits
Apple
Vegetable stew
Black beans with brown rice and balsamic mushrooms
Steamed broccoli

Moving Beyond a "Feel Like It" Faith
I received a text from one of my friends yesterday--a praise report actually. He was praising God because after 2 years of praying, he finally solved his squirrel problem. Let me explain, about 2 years ago he bought an older house, his first home. He made some improvements, updated some things, and was enjoying the property. But then, he started hearing these scratching, running noises over his head especially in his bedroom. He called exterminators, animal control, you name it and all to no avail. They couldn't find the panel to get into the attic portion of the house, nor could they find the animal's entry point. So, short of tearing into his house, they could not set a trap.
I heard of his squirrel woes over lunch after he visited the last 11am service when I preached. He looked at me and out of nowhere said: "Raquel, I just had to put the squirrel into the hands of Jesus. I can't do no more" and we continued catching up. So yesterday, he is looking out the window and he sees the squirrel exiting his house. He now knows the point of entry, the professionals can set a trap to relocate the animal or seal the opening--all because he put it in the hands of the Lord.
So I get his text and story while fixing some roasted potatoes for my Daniel dinner and I start thinking--what are some things I just need turn over to Jesus? I thought about the fast prayer requests--the church's finances, my finances, my hopes, and dreams and desires; the things that I prayed about and for during the last fast and didn't see the results I had hoped and expected-- my disappointment. And then every so softly, my spirit said, "I need to put me in the hands of Jesus." And I paused, struck by the thought that I wasn't there already, that the reason I was disappointed by the last fast was because I didn't get what I wanted from God although God got what he wanted from me--time, attention, focus, submission, obedience, priority, seeking, hunger, passion. God was telling me something in this but I couldn't quite get it. I told Rev. Alise the story, that there was a sermon in here somewhere, and that I had to get in the hands of Jesus, but how? I know how to put things, and people, and problems, and wants, and wishes in his hands but how did he want me to get in them during this season? And I went to sleep.
This morning as I drifted in and out of slumber, those thoughts were still with me. But what became clear was this: I am expecting God to move in some very specific ways and am fasting for some things-financial breakthrough, the elimination of debt, and spiritual guidance, but God is not a means to an end. I have to get in his hands with everything else I put there. I have to surrender my requests to God along with myself and allow Him to work out His will in and for me during this season and accept it. I obey and serve and do because He tells me or spiritual leadership tells me to do certain things regardless of whether or not I feel like it or want it, because my "feelings" and "wants" put me at the center not God. And God is not obligated to please me, I have been created for HIS pleasure.
I believe that what God is saying to me and others of us during this season and this fast is this: GROW UP! Move beyond this "feel like it" pseudo-faith that is grounded in the attaining of our wants and wishes without the level of sacrifice to which GOD calls us. Quit whining and complaining and giving up because we don't get what we want when we want it or are temporarily inconvenienced as we pursue lasting change, transformation, and breakthrough. Mature beyond a self-centered faith that can only participate in something that directly impacts us and not sacrifice for the good of the whole. Work on being willing so we can stop disobeying God under the guise of "we don't want to do it with the wrong attitude"--CHANGE the attitude and do what God says! Quit short circuiting the move of God in our lives and the lives of those we are called to serve through the acceptance of the title, position, or ordinations we have received by refusing to be obedient because we don't "feel it" or "feel like it." Stop making excuses for disobedience and trying to use the Holy Spirit to justify it: "I don't feel led" when God is leading us with a WORD (do this!) and not a feeling. Where is God asking us only to do what we feel like? When did God craft His will around our wants? God is calling us to obey--to put ourselves not just our stuff in His hands. To trust Him with US, not just the stuff we want! Trust Him enough to do what He says even when we don't feel like it because we will answer for these things one day. So often, we act like 2 year olds telling God what we don't want and feel like either with our words or actions or tantrums of disobedience. He's gotta be tired of it by now. I'm tired of doing it.
I am pressing hard. I am following close. I am surrendering and obeying. I am leaving some things and people behind. I am forsaking "feelings" in pursuit of a mature faith. I am climbing into His hands knowing that whatever happens once I'm in there will be good enough because He is God enough. So that when breakthrough comes and prayers are answered both me and my stuff will be ready!

2 comments:

  1. After revealing what God placed on my spirit yesterday about OPP and the look on the faces of my co-workers when I put up my hand today and said "Not me, Not today, I am fasting from yall problems and focusing on me". I feel so much better and now I can do what was suggested in today's post by Rev Raquel.
    All I can say after reading your post Rev is WOW, nuff said and here I am God...

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the close of 2009, I requested for God to "usher" me into my destiny. I yielded myself to His leading and desired for Him to seat me wherever he saw fit. Today, I sat down in Youth Ministry Leadership. Now, I have to tell you, I worked with youth all my life; and as a result, I considered my vocation to be enough in terms of service to youth. Youth Ministry was the last thing on my mind since I dealt with youth everyday in my profession. But the Lord gently began to move me into the direction of Youth Ministry Imagine a Shepard with his staff prodding his sheep to move in a certain direction....

    I don't know one thing about Youth Ministry. All I know is that every young person needs a caring and competent adult to assist them in developing life skills, career, and educational paths; and, most importantly, a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that will last a lifetime.

    This scripture resounds in my spirit:

    3John 1:2 Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in health; I know that it is well with your soul.

    ReplyDelete