Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 8: Surviving the Slump

Scripture: I Samuel 2-3
Today's Menu: Banana
Black beans and mushrooms over brown rice
Portuguese collard greens
Olive tortilla chips
Gerber Graduates fruit twist
Mixed Nuts
apple sauce

I will probably make chili for Monday...I need about 2 days to season it right

Thanks for the feedback.

Surviving the Slump
The past couple of days have been difficult but not with the food. I still crave the sweets-apparently I am addicted to sugar more than meat, cheese, and bread. Who woulda thought? I am, however, feeling the pressure of this time of year--annual conference report, lent planning, joshua conference planning, 2nd site initiatives, weekly sermon and bible study writing and endless administrative details...I have not had a decent devotional time since Wednesday and I feel it. Late nights have killed my early mornings but I jump back on the wagon tomorrow so I am optimistic.

Today, I have been taking care of home, mainly laundry and putting clothes away. 2 loads to go...I must clear my space in order to clear my head. There are so many projects that I need to attend to--storms doors to replace, 2 windows to fix/replace, tires for my truck, tackle my office, return forms to my financial planner... So I am trying not to completely freak out about how it will all get done.

So I decided to take a deep breath, focus on one thing at a time. Blog. Laundry. Devotions. Laundry. Sermon. Laundry. Dear Lord, please let me get to bed before midnight. Today, I am seeking God in the mundane things, in the midst of the tedious tasks and chores we must do, the less than glamorous times of life. Today I am simply trusting Him to show up in the everyday, usual circumstances of life and bring me through. I am not particularly looking for a miracle but I'll take one. All I really need is perseverance, strength, and a willing spirit so I don't fall into this slump and become negative.

The reality is that this is what comprises most of our daily lives...the mundane, unexciting things that must get done--the plains we cross between the mountain highs and valley lows. My task today is to survive the slump and not get overwhelmed, and simply trust God in this space to keep my spirit up and attitude positive. I am resisting the urge to complain about the help I need and when He will send it. Instead I will thank Him for the strength to climb the 3 flights of stairs (and that I have 3 flights of stairs), I will thank him that I can multitask at home since I do not have to go to the laundromat. I will thank Him for running water and heat and food. And the slump will pass and I will have survived it again!

8 comments:

  1. @Rev St. Clair, I understand your plight and i am feeling the slump of the valley myself. I got some great information in Youth Ministry Leadership Training that i would like to review again in light of what where i see myself in youth ministry... but, I got some other stuff to do.

    May all that i do be pleasing and acceptable in thy sight of Lord, my strength and my redeemer...

    I am singing: Welcome into this place, Welcome into this broken vessle, you desire to abide in the praises of your people, so i lift my hands, and I lift my heart, as I offer up this praise unto your name....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a long day but when I got home decided to start cleaning. My parents have moved in with us and the house is in a bit of disarry. Although its a bit overwhelming this move is one of the things I prayed for during the last fast. Now that God has answered our prayers, I can't possibly complain about the added responsibility. I also realize if God gave me this responsibility He will equip me for all that goes with it. Still working on getting this schedule together but thank God if nothing else I can dance in the morning and I know God is pleased when I invite Him to dance with me. I'm a little upset about my wheat thins but I'll be alright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last night I attended a 16th birthday party for my friend's daughter. There was an abundance of food only through God's grace was I able to stick to my fast. I ate vegetables and fruit and I brought my own salad dressing. I made it without compromising my fast. This was a festive occassion and in the mist of all this happiness I was sad. My heart aches for some of the children that attended this party were children I taught at my old church. In my old church I was the preschool Sundday School teacher, the after school mentoring teacher, the vaction bible school teacher. I loved these children and they loved me. It was a great place and a great time. I have been at St. James for over 10 years and still have no place other than attending. I have prayed for God's direction and have not gotten any answer. I think this Sunday I will attend my old church. I have a gift but at St. James I have not found a place. My family members have also joined St. James and they are active members of ministries (dance, usher board, prescious gems, choir,) yet I just Sunday after Sunday I get nothing.
    I will continue to pray and ask God to find me a place. This is a stressful time for me. A few days before the fast began I fell down a flight of stairs (15 stairs) at home while decorating. At first because of the pain I did not want to do the fast, but I did begin the fast inspite of the pain. On Wednesday I finally wnet to the doctor. He told me it would be about 4 weeks before I would be back to myself. I am still wrestling with the choice of where I will worship this Sunday. I want to be excited about Sunday mornings again. I love St. James and it is where at this time in my life God has placed me. I am just waiting for direction. I want to do more just don't know what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A slump? I can't even call what I am in as far as chores are concerned a slump, more like a hump and on the lower left half of it. Today I am just putting away the Christmas decorations, I took them down but I didn't put them away. If you walked into my house you would think I was crazy talking about a hump cause you wouldn't see what I'm talking about, its all hidden.
    My son moved out in Apil 09 and because of the constant rain I didn't paint the room for fear it would take forever to dry. Now I can paint it but I haven't, and why you may ask because of all the summer stuff that I have yet to store in the attic that is just hanging out in that room. With every change of the seasons I change closets, dresser drawers and shoes around to compensate for that season. It is at these times I realize that I have way too many dang clothes and I can open up a shoe store with the shoes I own and have never worn. I started donating stuff because I can't or don't wear them any more, and maybe someone else can. But I keep having to have that shoe, boot, coat, shirt, you name it. I am a admitted sale junkie, I don't buy retail but let me have a coupon and a percentage off and I am on a mission. Well I am fasting from that as well, it has to stop sometime it might as well be now. With all the stuff now cleared out of that room, my slump now ends and I will paint the room next weekend and set the room up as an extra bedroom/office as it should be. Next is my garage but gotta wait until it gets a little warmer, it is cold in there...
    Somehow I believe that we will always have a slump of some sort when it comes to housework cause who in their right mind enjoys it. I WANT A MAID, can you say MERRY MAIDS to the rescue.

    If anyone is interested in the Daniel Fast cookbook, Barbara Carter has a copy that I gave to her on Sunday (today) and she said she would make copies in put in the church for those who are interested.
    Have fun on the fast, experiment and don't limit yourself try new things and then share your recipes and new snack finds. RIce Works (Sea Salt) is the Rice chip that I found in Shop Rite- yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Miklal...we are about to start planning for Youth Ministry at St. James 2nd Site. Why Don't you come to the 2nd site next sunday and stay after service for the Youth Ministry planning meeting. I'll be looking for you..:o)

    Tammy Peoples
    enerpeace@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. so i found my way back to the gym today...it was rough. I did not want to be there and the girl popping her fingers on the treadmill next me was not helping the matter. I got in an hour. i think im going to change my workout schedule - mainly because of the weather.

    I can do weight training in the morning at home and cardio at the gym in the evening. I hope it works out cause i have a situation on the waistline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i thought i had natural/organic tomato paste and diced tomatoes. I just grabbed the cans from my cupboards and put them the pan. to my surprise, and after i added it to the pan with my tofu, mushrooms, peppers, garlic, and onions, i discovered that it was not natural or organic. no need to fret. i just pulled out one of my trusty storage containers, filled it with my sauce mixture, and placed it in the freezer for a later date.

    I have to admit that I was tempted to let it slide. I figured, i been doing well sticking to the fast for the last eight days. Who's going to know about this honest slip-up? Get thee behind me Satan!

    We are all in this together folks. Lets maintain the integrity of the fast.

    1 Peter 5:8
    Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @miklal-ditto to what Tammy said. Also, please feel free to schedule some time to meet with me. Perhaps I can help you discern your place in the ministry.

    ReplyDelete