Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 5: God Bless Galileo

Scripture: Genesis 4-6
Today's Menu:
Giving up on the cream of wheat because I cannot sweeten it the way I want (Bye cream of wheat, see you after the 22nd!)
Today, I am saying--Hello, grits! And I wonder, "Will this be the start of new relationship?"
Black beans and brown rice, baby! Added some mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper and my help has come
Nuts and raisins
Mixed vegetables
Yukon gold potatoes tossed in a little olive oil with salt and pepper and oven roasted and then dipped in some Tabasco course mustard instead of ketchup
Vegetable stew until the vat is finished, then I'll make chili. It actually gets better each day
Banana
Apple or applesauce

God Bless Galileo
Galileo is often called the "Father of Modern Science." His insights into physics and astronomy are still used to this day. However, he spent the latter part of his life under house arrest by the Roman Catholic Church after being denounced as heretic. Why, you ask? Because he supported and advocated Copernicus' theory that the earth revolved around the sun and not the other way around. Galileo held the sun lay at the center not the earth.

For those of you who attended Watchnight at SOPAC, you may remember how I spoke about the wise men following a star to see the SON, and the parallel I made between the sun and the SON-just as things revolve around the sun and it gives light and life, and determines the earth's seasons as we rotate and revolve around it, so it is with the SON. We are to revolve around Jesus, He gives us light and light and determines the seasons of our lives. And what I am finding out in this fast is that my natural inclination is to adopt a worldview in which I am at the center rather the one Galileo talked about in which the sun (SON) is.

Now on one hand, I have always wanted God's will and sought Him for it especially when I was making major decisions. In general, I have tried to follow God's leading, and admittedly, sometimes better than others. But there is a different sort of press this time. My universe is shifting and I am no longer the center of it. I am seeing how I have made what I want a priority asking God to revolve around my wishes. Here's what I mean, even when I know that what I want is God's will I still want Him to get on my schedule. At some point, I try to become the center again, dictating the terms. And from the outside, it may not seem like a big deal since I do not live a reprobate or "disobedient" life; I don't habitually, intentionally sin. I do strive to live a repentant life. But God isn't asking for just the "big" stuff, He's asking for holiness in the details and for me, that begins with my attitude and orientation towards things. It means losing my vested interests that seek after my comfort, convenience, preferences, inclinations and seek after God trusting that I and it will be ok and better for having placed Him in the center.

Following my astronomy metaphor, I was thinking this morning that I feel like Halley's (rhymes with valley) comet. A comet is actually a giant, dirty snowball in outerspace. Halley's comet can be seen from earth every 76 years or so. It revolves around the sun but at a different trajectory from the planets. However, there comes a point in its journey that it is pulled very close to the sun and when this happens, it begins to melt--it's size is reduced. It also gets brighter. The sun illumines it and it leaves a trail behind (that tail that is seen when the comet is visible) Now, I don't think I am GIANT dirty snowball but we can all be cleaned up a bit more. I do feel like the SON has pulled me close and the result is that I am decreasing and getting brighter and will hopefully leave a bright trail behind me.

Last night at prayer meeting, Rev. Richardson had us spend time in God's presence just to listen to Him and seek Him on our own. I came to the altar and knelt ready to ask but all I could do was thank Him for everything I had prayed and asked for. I sat listening and worshipping because I felt no need to petition. God has it, God knows, and God will do it. That's what my spirit told me: I already asked and now I worship and wait, keeping the SON at the center so I can be ready to revolve after this next move. My posture is one of seeking, but not of my desires. No I need to do what Ephesians 5:10 says "Try to find out what is pleasing to the Lord." Because if I do this, I will find my place in my petitions. As I pray for financial strongholds to be destroyed, I will see what I need to do to please God in this area of my life and what I need to give to God's house beyond the tithe because the tithe is the minimum gift. As I pray for guidance and direction, I will see where I need to go so that I can lead others. You see, when I put the SON in the center, then I must revolve around Him; I have to see how I will respond to God not just how God will respond to me.

So God bless Galileo! Because his scientific insights have helped me put the SON in its rightful place.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that God delights in working on our behalf. Yes, God wants to serve his people-far better than we can ever think or imagine we can do for ourselves or unto Him. I am learning how to sit back and let God handle His business.

    Two things keep coming to my mind: My Banquet and My Battle is in God hands. Here is what i mean:

    You [the Lord] prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Psalms 23:5

    ...Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will show to you today: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen today, ye shall see them again no more for ever. The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.
    Exodus 14:13, 14

    I trust His Word!

    ReplyDelete