Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Day 1: Ash Wednesday Thoughts

Morning Scripture: Ezekiel 1-3
Evening Scripture: Romans 1-3

Ash Wednesday Thoughts
Another Lenten Season is here. I am amazingly excited. God is up to something. Actually, I have been excited for the past three fasts that we have done as a church family. There is something about the discipline that helps to order my life. I am blessed to have felt led to these fasts. Let me explain.

Some fasts (like the 2 Daniel fasts) are called and we do in obedience to the spiritual leadership that calls us to them. As we mature in faith we can follow even when we do not feel like it. That means that sometimes God will speak to the Pastor concerning the direction of the church and the need to fast and be on one accord; to seek God so that we can be ready. We do not have to "feel" these fasts because God doesn't have to speak directly to us if God has spoken to us through the Pastor. It is our task to simply be obedient and follow with a willing spirit. We must resist the urge to be arrogant, thinking that God first has to tell us everything He tells the Pastor and if we don't like it, feel like it, don't understand why, then we don't do it. That is precisely why we have a Pastor, to provide us spiritual direction and communicate to us God's will for us a His people.

Other fasts, God leads us to do, like this financial fast. If we sense God telling us to fast in this way, then we do it. Otherwise, it isn't for us. During this season I have felt led to this fast as well as another involving a sacrifice of food. I will do both for 40 days. Jantezen Franklin, in his book Fasting, notes that 40 day fasts are "dominion fasts." They are used by God to usher us into a new place or season, to permanently destroy yokes, to do a transforming work that transitions us to a new place or to establish purpose and destiny. I feel this shift occurring in my own life. God is making things brand new and I cannot wait to see the totality of what God is doing. It is worth the sacrifice to me.

I have set aside 3 times/day for prayer over some very specific requests. I have determined what scriptures I will read during my morning and evening devotion times. during my afternoon time, I will work through Michelle Singletary's 21 Days to Prosperity, which is the book that goes along with a 21 day financial fast and I will read 40 Days to a More Generous Life. I have a plan (smile) and pray for the strength, will, and discipline to stick to it.

I am expecting great things from a great God. I declare that it is my season! I feel it, I know it, and now I am preparing to walk in it! I look forward to sharing this journey with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment