Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 4: One Day at a Time

Scripture Reading: Ezekiel 10-13

One Day at a Time
Well, the hunger headaches have passed and so I feel much better. I am trying to remain positive and encourage myself in the Lord. The beginning of a long fast is always a little daunting once I begin it. So I am trying to focus on one day at a time. Perhaps, I need to do that more often.

I often begin with the end in mind, which is helpful in navigating my way and reaching a goal. However, it is sometimes not so great when trying to obey God. I often feel like that a traveller lost in Maine who asks for directions to their destination and the local response is, "You can't get there from here." When following God, I can know what the promise is but the way to it is so twisty, turny and with so many seemingly dead ends that I feel like I can't get there from here. So, I have resolved to take it a day at a time and not give up. I can get there-wherever God has promised if I just follow. I trust that God knows the way.

2 comments:

  1. I hear you. The song says One day at time sweet Jesus thats all I'm asking from you, just give us the strength to do every day what we have to do. I'm committed to this finacial fast and I'm trying. Yesterday I had to purchase a birthday present for my nephew turning 16yrs old. I kept thinking is this going against my committment but I resolve that it wasn't and this was essential and I dared not look at shoes or at clothing/hats & pocketbooks. Whew!!!!!. So after I made the purchases for my nephew (cash & debit card), I know I didn't bring enough cash, I sat while my husband looked for a few minutes because I was actually scared to be tempted, not because I would have bought something but the fact that it may consume my mind and I would be worshiping it until I get it. I too am considering going back to my food fast, something about that daniel fast made me feel good, stronger, lighter, I concentrated more, I was having a great time with the Lord and I just don't want to loose this intimate relationship we got going on. I pray for the spirit of Laziness to be taken away because when it comes to the food it's so much easier for me to go back to fast foods/ sugary substances and all that other good stuff. Yall know what I'm talking about. Hey I just breathe (smile) and something is happinng even if I don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am already learning alot about myself in this first week of the fast. I realized what an impulse shopper I am and that has to be broken. I never saw how all those little purchaces added up to so much. I didn't even need to go to the grocery store until friday (and even that was for only a few items), because I had to stop and actually look at how much food I already had in the house that I wasn't cooking. So God is leading me to not only not spend, but to also go through and de-clutter my life. So every day I have to do at least one thing towards that. I have already put a big bag of cloths for donation and have been shredding stacks of paper. It feels so cleansing to let go of my stuff. I just hold on to stuff and God wants me to let go so he can bring new blessings into my life.

    As far as food, I have been kind of staying on the Daniel fast, cooking more, and no soda. I was drinking my last soda tuesday night at 11:45pm. I had to laugh at myself because I didn't see how addicted I became to it again in just a matter of weeks.

    I am committing to 2 days of running a week and 2 days of other exercise every week. I just feel like God just want me to get all of my life in order. That is what I felt as I sat in the sanctuary on Wed. What I realize is with all that disorder, how can God do new things for me and how can I even think clearly? As I look around at so many piles of things to go through in my attic, basement, and garage I feel overwhelmed, but God is just saying one day at a time and it will be done. I truly need God to help me through these forty days.

    ReplyDelete